- >>> New to Youth Cycling? Please talk to the other parents at our sessions - also Youth Cycle Sport is a good place to start
- >>> Check Out Our Youth Cycle Sport club profile
- >>> Want to Race? British Cycling Race Smart Initiative
- >>> Want to join the Olympic Squad? Check out the British Cycling Rider Route
- >>> Make You Know the Basics:
- >>> Before You Move on to More Advanced Stuff:
Information & Guidance For Riders & Parents
For most people, starting out in the sport of cycling can be a bit daunting - learning to ride your bike was just the start! Next comes bunch skills and tactics. Not everyone is born to be a champion & not everyone wants to become an Olympian. Some people are naturally gifted and competitive, some are happy to ride bikes for fun & fitness. Statistically, the chances of achieving anything like Olympic success may seem to be virtually impossible and so some may ask,'Why bother trying at all?' For young riders and their parents, our advice has always been:
- Learning skills and developing fitness correctly, in the formative years between 8 and 16, can be just as important as any natural talent you were born with
- You will never achieve lasting success unless you enjoy what you do - it has to be fun
- Cycling with better riders will make you a better rider
- Focus on being the best you can be, take each ride as it comes but try your hardest, ride your bike regularly and see what happens from there
- You can always talk to and network with other parents at our sessions
- And of course you can always talk with the coaches and ask questions before and after the sessions
- Please read our child-protection-policy.pdf
- i-Team.cc is a coach-led club and the Portsmouth School of Cycle Racing forms part of the club rider development pathway that has been devised by Head Coach, Guy Watson, to mirror British Cycling's 'Rider Route'
What 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist Dani King Says:
"....at Portsmouth track with i-Team. That was my first cycling team with Guy Watson and Rob Hayles' dad and they've helped me a lot..." (Sky Sports Article)
"Big fat tweeeeeeeet for my first ever cycling club #iteamcc #portscycling... without them i wouldn't be where i am today!" (Twitter)
From Go-Ride to Gold Medals!
Olympic Champion Dani King, World Champion Jon Dibben & National Champion Joe Truman all have at least 1 thing in common - They first learned to race bikes with Portsmouth School of Cycle Racing!
The Portsmouth School of Cycle Racing is a voluntary cycle sport coaching organisation based at The Mountbatten Centre Cycle Track, PO2 9SA, and was originally established in 1970 by Portsmouth Cycling Club coaches Jack Smith & John Hayles. In 2004, P.S.o.C.R. was resurected by i-Team.cc, one of the first clubs in the U.K. to achive British Cycling Go-Ride status and prioritise Youth & Grass Roots cycling.
The Portsmouth School of Cycle Racing is essentially a Club Cluster of Training & Coaching, for riders young and old who wish to maintain and develop their cycle racing skills, which means a big focus on close riding skills.
The P.S.o.C.R. is run by volunteer i-Team.cc British Cycling qualified and CRB certified coaches, and places are open to all clubs in the area including: i-Team.cc, PNECC, Chapel TriStars, Fareham Wheelers, Ditcham Park School, Meon Valley Cycling Club, Solent Pirates, Southdown Velo, Hampshire Road Club and more.
Our key focus is talent identification & development, steering riders towards British Cycling's Rider Development Pathway. Here's how we do it:
- Grouping riders together by ability, regardless of age and sex
- Being open to all riders regardless of what club they are in and whether they are already in a club or not
- Provide beginner friendly, child friendly, sessions in safe, traffic-free environments
- Organing sessions for Youth, Junior & Adult cyclists who want to maintain a wide range of skills and improve technique, from novice to elite racing cyclist
- Encourage participation in the sport of cycling - especially track racing, road racing & MTB
- Provide coach training, mentoring & development for i-Team.cc and other youth cycling groups & clubs
- Always strive to be a forward thinking, dynamic & friendly organisation that is open to networking with other sports organisation's, local cycling groups, NGB's, L. A.'s & schools, for the purposes of improving facilities & access to Cycle Sport, especially at grass-roots level
For details of our weekly coaching sessions - see the P.S.o.C.R. Facebook Page
For last minute news and updates, including cancellations, plus session feedback from coaches - see the P.S.o.C.R. Twitter Feed
For photos and videos - see the P.S.o.C.R. Instagram Gallery
Riders Take Part at Their Own Risk! - If in Doubt, Ask!
i-Team is proud to be sponsored by our friends at InTandem Systems